Fraternity/Sorority Stroll Competition Application (1)
Time & Location
About The Event
Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter 2019 Dr. Huey P. Newton Stroll-Step for Change Competition Guidelines
Greetings from the Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc! We are excited to share with you information about our 9th Annual AKS Weekend and the 6th Annul Dr. Huey P. Newton Stroll for Change Competition. The competition will take place on Saturday, May 4th, 2019. This packet contains the competition rules and regulations and the scoring guidelines. We hope that this will be an opportunity for you to have fun and connect with other Fraternities, Sororities, and local organizations while raising money for the community. We look forward to receiving your registration form and working with you in the future.
STROLL COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Registration Wednesday, January 2nd 2019 through Sunday, April 14th, 2019.
- All registration forms and fees must be received by the Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. by stated deadlines to be considered registered.
- Once the application package is received, a member of the Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. events coordinators will contact the registered team representative for further information.
- A suitable facility for the 2019 Dr. Huey P. Newton Stroll-Step for Change Competition will be provided, including the sound equipment, judges etc.
- ALL TEAMS agree to adhere to all rules and regulations by signing and submitting a registration application.
- ALL TEAMS assume total responsibility of performance routines and any risks of injury due to the routine and hold Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. harmless to vault based on the signing and submission of the registration form.
- A minimum of 4 stroll members is required to be considered a team. The maximum number of stroll members to participate on one (1) team is ten (10).
- Each team will be allowed a maximum of five (5) minutes each round for their introduction, performance and exit. One (1) point will be deducted for each minute the team exceeds the stated time limit.
- No profanity or obscene gestures during the team’s performance will be allowed. Any team found in violation by the judges will automatically be disqualified, no acceptations.
- Multiple teams from any one (1) organization are acceptable. Each team must register individually.
- Each team must have all music that will be used in the performance on a CD or USB and provided to Reginald Littleton, 804-651-3053 by Tuesday, April 30th 2019. A team representative must be assigned to instruct the disc jockey during the team’s performance.
- All teams must adhere to the competition rules as follows: a. Competition will consist of three (3) rounds:
- Round 1: This should be an upbeat and/or fast stroll
- Round 2: This should be a slow stroll
- Round 3: Final round (top two scoring sororities and top two scoring fraternities)
13. There will be 5 judges, each judge will use the categories shown to judge team performance. The point system will be based on the following:
Judge’s Evaluation - Appearance - What was the overall appearance of the team? Did everyone look uniform/unified? 1-5 points
Enthusiasm - Did members look enthusiastic and involved in their movements? 1-10 points
Creativity/Style - How creative was the performance? Was it enjoyable, entertaining etc? Did it look like effort was put into making this? 1-10 points
Precision - Were the movements fluid/crisp with little to no error? Was the number smoothly executed? 1-10 points
Crowd Reaction - What is the crowd’s vibe? Is the audience involved/enjoying the performance? 1-10 points
Time - Did the stroll team adhere to the time limit? 1-5 points
TOTAL Number of Available Points 50 SHOW ORDER
STEP COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- No longer than 12 minutes for the entire show. (This includes your intro and exit)
- For each minute over the allotted time, 10 points will be deducted.
- All props and backdrops must be removed from the stage at the conclusion of your performance.
- The show will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m.
ORDER OF SHOW
- The order of the show will be determined by a random drawing, which you will receive with confirmation.
- The order will be determined by draw once all applications and fees have been collected.
- ONLY the coordinator of the show (Troy Mathis) can alter the order of the show.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. NO profanity OR sexual innuendos.Ten points will be deducted, based on judge’s decision.
2. The application and $50 confirmation fee must be postmarked by April 15th, 2019.
3. Any changes to the list of step team members must be turned in via email or mail by April 20, 2019 5 p.m. (Each team will be allowed three additional passes for managers, music, prop….etc.)
4. Emcee introductions must be no longer than one minute.
5. Each organization must provide the emcees with an introduction by April 20, 2019, at 5 p.m.
6. Each organization must provide AKΣ with special lighting requests or banner hangings by April 21, 2019,at 5 p.m.
7. Each step team must arrive at the Children’s Home of Virginia Baptist,Inc, 6900 Hickory Road Petersburg, Virginia 23803 by 4:00 pm on May 4, 2019.
8. All props and backdrops must be taken with the organization at the conclusion of the show.
(Each criterion worth up to 10 points; Overall performance up to 50 points; Total = up to 100 points)
1. Introduction (10 pts.)
2. Creativity and Originality (10 pts.)
3. Difficulty of steps (10 pts.)
4. Synchronization and Precision (10 pts.)
5. Vocal Clarity (10 pts.)
6. Stunts (5 pts.)
7. Costumes and Appearance (5 pts.)
8. Enthusiasm (10 pts.)
9. Exit (10 pts.)
10. Overall Performance (20 pts.)
**In the event of a tie, the total performance score will be used to choose the winner**
* All judges’ decisions are final*
SELECTION OF JUDGES
1. Judges will be secured by the Alpha Kappa Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.
2. There will be a panel of five judges and a timekeeper.
3. Judges will be of mixed backgrounds
4. Judges will be knowledgeable of “stepping.”
1. Each team will be allotted 15 minutes of practice time at the location of the show.
2.If team does not arrive on time, they will not be given a practice time.
3. The above-stated rules will be strictly enforced.
1. All step team members will be admitted in the show free of charge. The names of each step team member must be listed on the step team application, if the name is NOT listed, he/she must pay for a ticket.
2. Tickets to the step show may be purchased at the door for $15.00. 3. Tickets may be purchased in advance for $10
There will be 3 team earned the highest team scores, based on a 50 point system, that will be recognized at the end of the stroll-step competition in the following manner.
The winning Sorority team will receive a cash prize of $500.00
The winning Fraternity team will receive a cash prize of $500.00
The winning Community step team will receive a cash prize of $300.00
- Fraternity/Sorority App Fee$77.55$77.550$0